Thursday 25 October 2018

Tadaa! The Baa-ble hat

Now all of you should hear triumphant trumpets! I have been meaning to knit this hat for a while, but was rather scared of the colour-work.
The Baa-ble hat was the official pattern for Shetland Woolweek 2015, held every year in Shetland to celebrate Shetland wool and its associated crafts. When I downloaded it, the pattern was still free. Now you can purchase it, here on Ravelry.
The yarn I used is Rico Design Essentials soft Merino aran superwash. I adore the colours!! But I would recommend a more rustic yarn for this hat. The yarn I used makes the hat a bit too stretchy and soft. That being said, I am sooo happy with it. The sheep are so adorable and the hat is very warm. And let's not forget the huge pompom. I wore it in the house for two days, that's how proud I was.
This is an ideal introduction to colour-work or Fair Isle knitting. As a bonus, I learned to knit with two colours in different hands, which makes colourwork much more fun. And another bonus is that I can now knit continental, which is so much easier on the right shoulder that gives me quite a bit of trouble.
So, in my opinion, triumphant trumpets in order here!



let's get started, on double pointed needles:



the colourwork, on circular needle:



me, very happy, with my own Baable-hat!





3 comments: